Why is a Strong Vocabulary Important?
We use spoken and written words every single day to communicate ideas, thoughts, and emotions to those around us. Sometimes we communicate successfully, and sometimes we’re not quite so successful. “That’s not what I meant!” becomes our mantra (an often repeated word or phrase). However, a good vocabulary can help us say what we mean.
All too often, High School students do not obtain (or maintain) the vocabulary they should have. That is why this unit can be a valuable tool in your arsenal!
Vocabulary – 100 Vocabulary Words Every High Schooler should know
This COMPLETE ‘Print & Go’ Unit centers around the 100 words that every High School student should know! This 99 page resource includes student handouts, flash cards, worksheets, puzzles, quizzes and a final exam!
– Complete list of all 100 words with definitions
– 10 separate lists (breaking up the words in groups of 10) with definitions
– These are for students to complete by defining the words and use as a study aid.
– Worksheets that focus on 10 words at a time (correlates with the separate lists (under Student Handouts). These worksheets ask students to spell the words correctly (unscramble), alphabetize the words and write the definitions.
– 10 Crossword puzzles focusing on the 10 words at a time in which students are given the definitions and must complete the puzzle with the correct vocabulary word.
– 10 Quizzes that ask students to match the word to the correct definition and use each word in a sentence.
– The final is multiple choice and includes 30 definitions/words from the entire 100 words included within the unit.
Sample words: abjure, abrogate, auspicious, enervate, enfranchise, fiduciary, hegemony, interpolate, nihilism, orthography, precipitous,
If you’d like to add this resource to your High School arsenal, you may do so in a few ways…
If you are a CHSH-Teach Download Club subscriber, you may instantly download the entire unit @ http://www.chsh-teach.com/pt/English—Language-Arts-High-School-Curriculum/wiki.htm