Why does each state in the U.S. have a state bird, a state flower or other state selected ‘thing’? As a teacher, I was once asked this very question. I didn’t know the answer but I went looking. This is what I found…It is done to instill a sense of local state pride and patriotism and is a holdover from the early days when states were almost independent countries.
So why have a study on ‘State Birds’? My answer: For the wide range of learning that will occur during such a study! That is why I’ve created a MEGA Bundle of materials designed to provide students with a creative way, an inspiring way, to study ‘State Birds’…
As they are completing their studies, students will exercise valuable skills such as…
- reading to comprehend informational text
- organizing information
- disseminating information
They will also be completing a cross-curricular study combining the following…
- Language Arts
This BUNDLE contains over 700+ pages and covers all 50 states and more…
** Cross-curricular learning at it’s best. **
– Language Arts: reading, research and writing (Students will be expected to search out informational text to learn about each state bird. Multiple pages are giving for students to report what they have learned. Some pages include sections for drawing. Also included: Pages designed to be used for different age groups.)
– Science: Scientific classification (A page is included for each state to list the Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus and Species. Also a full coloring page is included if you’d like students to label the parts of each bird.)
– Social Studies: Geography (2 map pages – One to identify the state and one for students to show everywhere in the U.S. the bird lives as well as any migration)
** Designed for multiple levels **
If you are a CHSH-Teach Download Club subscriber, this MEGA-BUNDLE download is available @ http://chsh-teach.com/pt/State-Birds-Notebooking-Pages/wiki.htm
Not a subscriber? Click the link above and you’ll find how you can easily purchase this product!